Many CWU reps and members will be aware that Steve has been a member of the NEC and PEC since his election in 2017. He continues to engage with Branches and members, he actively supports and addresses members problems raised with him, as well as leading on national issues for the executives.
We therefore have no hesitation as a Branch in nominating Steve for the NEC/PEC in the 2019 elections and asking for CWU members support, we believe he has both the experience and capability to perform the role effectively and to a very high standard. I appreciate there are a number of other candidates, and I would therefore be grateful if you would be kind enough to let me know if you are able to support Steve in the election.
Steve's 2019 Election Address
I am standing for re-election to the NEC/PEC so I can continue with the ongoing challenges ahead.
Since being elected I have;
- Participated fully and expressed my views on Redesign and keeping the CWU as a fighting union based upon democracy.
- I have been involved in reviewing our education and training programme to ensure it gives reps what they need to represent members well.
- Supported LGBT initiatives as the NEC representative, attended conferences answered debates as well as promoted their interests at Pride events.
- I am an advocate for Young workers by supporting their increased involvement in our Union and support initiatives that gives opportunities to the next generation.
- I continue to successfully represent Reps who have been disciplined/dismissed at National Appeal Panels.
- On Culture I have frequently visited workplaces, I have undertaken many successful Industrial Relations reviews across the country to address the mistreatment of our members.
- I have led national negotiations, achieved good pay deals in Jersey and was heavily involved in the Isle of Man Industrial Action dispute resolution with Terry Pullinger.
- I am proud to have been a member of the PEC who helped achieve the Four Pillars agreement. We need to continue this work and protect our jobs, the industry and the terms and conditions we have achieved.
We are heading into another period where the employer needs to be challenged, their view of the use of technology is much different to ours. We need to make sure technology is used positively and refuse its use when it is going to be abused or not be in our members interests.
I seek your continued support and promise to work tirelessly for you, I will ensure members views are at the forefront of any decisions at NEC/PEC level.
Contact us at: Newcastle Amal Branch, Communication Workers Union, Unit 21, Quay Level, St Peter's Marina, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 1TZ: Or Telephone: 0191 228 9288, or email the branch on email@example.com
Join us TODAY!
The best membership benefits...